State of Israel Knesset Visits CJDS
Seven of our middle school students met with Knesset members to share their experiences, challenges, and successes at CJDS. Through the course of this dialogue, our students said they were grateful for the diversity at CJDS, especially around Jewish text and practice. One student said, "I have friends that go to denominational schools, and I can verbalize what is important and meaningful to me much easier because I am constantly challenged to answer that question in our diverse community." Another student said she was grateful that she got to learn about and from Jews of other denominations from her classmates and "not read about them in a book." When asked if they ever felt uncomfortable or pushed out of their comfort zones, the students said that the tension has taught them "how to advocate for themselves and remain respectful of what their peers need as well."
The chevrei (members) Knesset told our students they were so inspired that they want to create a "CJDS" in Israel!
Thank you to the following Knesset members for visiting CJDS:
- Deputy Minister of Defense, Member of Knesset Eli Ben Dahan (Jewish Home)
- Member of Knesset David Bitan (Likud), Co-Chair, Knesset Lobby for Strengthening the Jewish People
- Member of Knesset Na’ava Boker (Likud), Deputy Speaker of the Knesset
- Member of Knesset Meir Cohen (Yesh Atid), Deputy Speaker of the Knesset
- Member of Knesset Avraham Neguise (Likud), Chair, Aliyah, Absorption and Diaspora Affairs Committee
- Member of Knesset Amir Ohana (Likud)
- Member of Knesset Colonel (Res) Omer Bar Lev (Zionist Camp)