Our Arts Program is a fundamental component of the middle school curriculum and provides an integral outlet for student expression. Students sing, dance, design, and create their way through the realms of visual, technical, and fine arts. Our program meets for an hour and half weekly and culminates in the middle school musical where students do everything from sewing costumes to working lighting boards. Our students’ talents evolve throughout this production process as they incorporate their instrumental musical talents, backstage organization, costume designing and more. Our program is unique because it is constructed with the combined vision and efforts of both our students and faculty. This allows students the opportunity to work alongside their peers, educators, and visiting artists in new and profound ways. This truly special experience offers a unique venue to celebrate perseverance and build community.
CJDS has put on several musical productions for our community including Grease, Sound of Music, Legally Blonde The Musical, Fiddler on the Roof, School of Rock The Musical, Bye Bye Birdie, and Mamma Mia!
During our production of Mamma Mia! this past year, our tracks focused on:
- Marketing and Publicity: bi-weekly newsletter, social media advertising, photography, student-designed apparel, lower school and middle school PR
- Arts: set design, artist studies self-portraiture
- Performance: blocking, performing and vocalizing
- Dance: movement and choreography
- Stage Management: staging, props, lighting, sound, direction